Outdoor gyms have been popping up in schools and parks around the country over the past decade as part of a nationwide initiative to make fitness both fun and accessible for all. Spending time in an outdoor school gym area on a regular basis offers a whole range of health and wellbeing benefits to children as they grow and develop. As well as encouraging students to be more active during their breaktimes, these easy-use fitness stations provide an ideal space for hosting dynamic PE lessons and sports training sessions.
If you’re thinking about embracing fresh air fitness at your school, then it’s essential to choose equipment pieces that are versatile enough to be used by different ages and ability levels. With so much choice now available when it comes to choosing outdoor gym equipment for schools, it can sometimes be hard to know where to begin. Our outdoor fitness experts have chosen a few essential items that would work well in any type of school gym.
1. Children’s Double Cross-Country Skier
- Our double cross-country skiers give an excellent cardiovascular workout by exercising every muscle in the body. Children can work at their own pace, moving their arms and legs back and forth to gain momentum. This piece is also great for encouraging teamwork and social interaction. Children will have fun working in pairs to master the challenge of co-ordinating both their arms and legs together as they exercise.
2. Children’s Balance Beams
- Balance beams are hugely versatile and simple to use, making them perfect for children of all ability levels. Students at your school can practise their balance and co-ordination whilst building cardio strength. They can choose to work individually or in pairs to carry out a range of exercises such as single leg balancing, bunny hops and touch downs, to name a few. Balance beams can easily be incorporated into PE lesson plans or used for sports day activities.
3. Children’s Seated Leg Press
- The seated leg press is specifically designed to improve flexibility, balance and strength. Once the children are seated, they can use their feet to push away from the frame, working their legs, thighs and glutes. Your students will enjoy the challenge of working in pairs and sitting opposite each other will naturally encourage them to do bigger, longer presses.
4. Sit-Up Bench
- Sit-ups are one of the most effective abdominal exercises there is, making this an essential piece of outdoor gym equipment for schools and colleges. The sit-up bench can be used by both adults and children alike to perform classic sit-up exercises with the feet hooked under the bar, working the abdomen and upper thighs. It’s also versatile enough to be used for step-ups, or combined with other items as part of an activity trail.
5. Children’s Arm and Pedal Bike
- The arm and pedal bike combines the benefits of cycling with upper arm exercise to provide a full-body workout. This piece of fitness equipment is great for advancing children’s hand-eye coordination, whilst helping to improve their balance and overall stamina. It can be tricky to exercise both muscle groups at the same time, but over time the children will see some great results.
Creative Play specialise in providing outdoor gym equipment for schools, parks and local councils around the UK. Our team of experts are passionate about engaging children and young people in outdoor fitness, and they have over 25 years of experience in constructing dynamic playground equipment to prove it.
If you’re interested in creating an outdoor gym space at your school, then don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team today. They will listen to your ideas and design preferences, before visiting your facility for a free consultation where the specifics of your outdoor gym will be mapped out. We’ve worked with all manner of locations and budgets which means that no area is beyond our expertise.